Friday, July 3, 2015

Coping While Black: A Season of Traumatic News Takes A Psychological Toll

I read an amazing article this morning on NPR.ORG today, regarding racism and how it can have a psychological effect on Black-Americans.

Although I think stress and psychological trauma stemming from racial incidents amongst the black community is subjective, I definitely can see how it can have a traumatic effect on people.

I can only imagine what it’s like for African-Americans who have dealt with racial incidents in the past, or have to deal with racial attacks everyday while witnessing what is happening in society right now.

I have never dealt with racially charged attacks turning violent. However, I have dealt with ignorant remarks being made towards me, in relation to my ethnicity. It is not a good feeling. I can only imagine what it's like for other people who have dealt with consistent racial prejudice's throughout their lives.

I handle it a little differently. I’ve never cried, felt like not going to school, decided to be absent from work, or became depressed because of racial attacks or judgmental behavior. When it comes to personality, I have a very strong exterior. I usually look at people like they are stupid (Because they are). However, it still hurts inside but I usually get over it within minutes.

I am the type of person who doesn't want other people to see me sweat, but I am still human.

http://www.npr.org/sections/codeswitch/2015/07/02/419462959/coping-while-black-a-season-of-traumatic-news-takes-a-psychological-toll






No comments:

Post a Comment